English - Our Curriculum
Essential Characteristics of Readers
- Excellent phonic knowledge and skills.
- Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
- Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
- An excellent comprehension of texts.
- The motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
- Extensive knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts.
Essential Characteristics of Writers
- The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- A vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
- A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
- Well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
- A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.
This page includes our English curriculum for each key milestone.
Teachers will use these plans to aid their teaching of Grammar in their classes to ensure full coverage of all areas.
The highlighted areas are the main focus for that year group. However, as always, the teaching will be differentiated for the needs of individual children and there will be revision of previously taught areas throughout all years.